Max Lucado: Grace for the Moment

Grace to You: Strength For Today Daily Devotional

Desiring God Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hunting Lesson

Here’s the beginning of my attempt to be a blogger. I had debated on doing so, but I thought it would be an opportunity and a place for me to give more of my random thoughts, post various devotionals I read, or give updates about my wonderful family. So, here goes…


Thanksgiving…

Melisse and I spent the Thanksgiving holiday eating, shopping, and, well, I spent a lot of it hunting deer. Unfortunately, I don’t have a big trophy buck to post on here, but I was close…at least I think so. I took three shots at 2 decent shooter bucks. All shots were at deer running, and at great distances; 300 yards and 400 yards. But, at first glance (and shot), they all were within range. Obviously not.

Over the holiday week, I waited for these opportunities to arise, having planned my shot in my head over and over. But, when I thought the time was right, it really wasn’t. The goal was just out of reach. I hurried just a little too much. I just quite didn’t have the patience to allow the opportunity for a closer shot.

I’ve reflected on this some, and realized this, in a sense, applies to my daily life as well. There are times where I plan things out, know in my mind what to do when, yet, only to freeze or panic or hurry the process through…missing the mark! What could I have done differently? Could I have been more patient and seen different results? Could I have prepared better? Probably. As it is with hunting, I can always prepare more to help with becoming the person I am suppose to be. I can learn more. Study more. Pray more. I can’t prepare for every situation that may arise, but I will become more equipped than if I just sat and did nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment